- No comments
Just 90 minutes from Melbourne lies Phillip Island. Home to pristine white beaches, stunning wildlife and hi-octane sporting events, there is endless family fun everywhere you turn. Teach your kids to swim on a quiet beach, see koalas and penguins in their natural habitats, and take in the SBK Championship in 2020. The FIM Superbike World Championship is a must-see event, and we’ll fill you in all of the fun things to take in below.
What is Phillip Island
There are plenty of reasons to plan a holiday to Phillip Island, and it’s perfect as a trip for the entire family. This small island is huge on activities for everyone. Weekend wanderers, sand-castle builders, surfers, food enthusiasts, sports enthusiasts, history buffs, people who enjoy fishing and more. Jump in the car and take a short trip from Melbourne to immerse yourself in all of the fun and excitement of Phillip Island. You’ll experience:
- White Sand Beaches – Experience some of the best surfing anywhere in Australia. Phillip Island is Victoria’s first National Surfing Reserve, and it has four excellent locations to catch your next wave. Visit Smiths Beach, Cape Woolamai, Cat Bay or Summerland to hit small waves perfect for beginners and grommets for experienced riders.
- Wildlife – Adorable penguins waddle up the beach and burrow into the dunes. You can take a tour of the remarkable wilderness or visit the Koala Conservation Centre. You’ll walk along wooden boardwalks, watch the Penguin Parade and see the shearwater birds arrive in the springtime.
- Family Fun – For such a small island, it’s big when it comes to family entertainment. Start the day at the Phillip Island Chocolate Factory before burning off some of that sugar by visiting A Maze’N Things and getting lost in a maze or by playing a round of mini-golf. Finally, you can visit the Nobbies Centre and take a virtual Antarctic Journey.
- Jazz – Music lovers unite! The Phillip Island Jazz Festival brings three days of vintage and modern jazz and swing sounds to Cowes. Come in November and see both touring and local jazz bands and immerse yourself in island sounds. Venues across the island host the late-night and sunny afternoon jazz sessions as well.
Phillip Island is Home to the FIM Superbike World Championship
High-octane sports enthusiasts will be right at home on Phillip Island all year round. Additionally, you can satisfy your need for speed any time of the year by taking a ride on a scale replica of the Phillip Island Grand Prix circuit in a go-kart.
In February, Phillip Island hosts the WSBK Phillip Island or World Superbikes Championship. Beginning on the 28th February and running to the 1st March 2020, the best riders in the world will compete for the title of Champion.
This event features several rounds of races held on a world-class permanent racing facility. Each series consists of two full-length motorcycle races, and the Superpole race is another ten-lap sprint. The other three races combine to crown a Championship for manufacturers and a crown for riders.
Friday kicks off the World Superbikes on Phillip Island festivities with the first free practice followed by the first qualifying race. Saturday has the second qualifying race and second free practice. The times on the first and second qualifying race combine, and the 15 fastest times qualify the riders for the Superpole race.
All other riders will receive a grid position starting time. These riders compete in a Knockout session, and every session is 12 minutes long. The first round has 15 riders with the slowest three eliminated. The second round has 12 riders, and the slowest three removed, and the final nine have to set the best times possible in each Superpole race they participate in.
Riders have to complete their lap with a time that is no longer than 107% of the first pole-position rider’s time to make it into the finale. Winners will advance to the finale on Sunday, and two champions will take home the title.
Australian Motorcycle Grand Prix Comes to Phillip Island in October
On 25 October 2020, the Australian Motorcycle Grand Prix comes to Phillip Island. This annual event brings electrifying crowds and a thrilling atmosphere that will keep you entertained throughout the race. Over 86,000 people attend this event, and you’ll take in some of the biggest names in motorcycle racing battling it out for the championship title.
There are multiple practice rounds to take in, dozens of fun events and chances to get up close and personal to your favourite riders. You can bring the whole family and visit food galleries, merchandise stands, a kids’ corner and more.
Why WSBK on Phillip Island and the Yearly Sporting Events Are so Popular
These events are so much more than races; they’re experiences. World-class teams compete in an electric atmosphere that starts from the second you step onto the island until you leave. Another reason these events are so popular is that they’re family-friendly. There is something for everyone, and people of all ages can come and have a blast from start to finish.
Hundreds of thousands of people make the journey to Phillip Island each year to take in the AUS superbikes in this picture-perfect location. Along with the sporting events, there are dozens of other things to see and do, as we outlined earlier. All of these things combine to create a must-see occasion for the entire family.
Plan a Private Tour for the SBK Championship, 2020
What better way to take in the FIM Superbike World Championship than a private tour? Additionally, you don’t have to restrict your private tours to Phillip Island. Instead, make a multi-day event of it and book trips to the surrounds. You’ll be back to Phillip Island with plenty of time to see the World Superbikes Championship. A few tour ideas include:
- Melbourne – Since Melbourne is just 90 minutes outside of the island, you can schedule a day tour here before the hi-octane action begins on Phillip Island. See all of the fantastic sights while experiencing Melbourne’s international appeal. Melbourne is a city packed with sports, culture and cuisine, and a private tour allows you to find all of the small hidden gems in the area.
- Great Ocean Road – The trip to Great Ocean Road allows you to take in some of the most stunning scenery in Australia, and a private tour will wind you through all of the best locations. You’ll see natural landscapes beautifully mixed with the culture of the region, and there are several tours to try. Local guides will take you through hidden pockets along the Great Ocean Road, and you’ll make memories that last a lifetime.
- Mornington Peninsula – The Mornington Peninsula is a wine lover’s paradise. Take an exclusive tour of the finest wineries in Australia, complete with world-class wines, foodies journey, picturesque scenery and renowned hot springs. Visit the Spa Dreaming Centre and have a private experience with private bathing experiences and more.
Allow Melbourne Private Tours to Design Your Perfect SBK Championship, 2020 Tour
Whether you’re a repeat adrenaline chaser or new to the world of racing, a private tour will help you experience the thrills that come with this beloved sport. Melbourne Private Tours is ready to take you on tours on Phillip Island and around Australia.
You can make a week holiday of it, and allow our local guides help you uncover parts of Australia you’ve never seen. We’ll get you back in time to go to the SBK Championship, and we’ll help you create lasting memories along the way. Enquire today!